- Crypto currency theft is very large: hundreds of millions, and frequently we do no hear about it, see here.
- Recent paper on crypto currrency exchanges.
- UFO is back: yes, UFOMiners are clearly a criminal scam, yet Yahoo Finance and CryptoCoinsNews and CoinTelegraph have fallen for it! (again) and kept presenting them as a genuine company for many many weeks/months since Oct 2016.
- What is also amazing that nobody reports these scams so that they are VERY LIKELY to succeed (some people will just send them money trusting theses reports).
- Journalists who work at other news outlets such as Coindesk are also guilty for NOT writing a word about these scams.
- More than 11 millions dollars were already lost in bitcoin scams, source: coindesk. Here is a good paper about bitcoin scams.
- At least 325 millions of dollars were earned by creators of CryptoWall malware.
Bitcoin is disruptive technology for ransoms and though a small minority of about 1.4% of victims pay, criminals are still earning a lot. An ransom payments have exploded in 2016. And in 2017 it became even worse.
- In general, bitcoin exchanges are weak links and naive customers think that their money is safe there, while in fact it isn’t. The typical scenario is that money will be missing for years, and most people will not notice. It is crucial not to trust crypto currency exchanges. They will fail. Instead we recommend LEDGER Nano S wallet and some multi-sig capable wallets.
- There is longer list of ongoing bitcoin scams at Badbitcoin.org.
Few more posts in this category.