Exactly 30 years ago, Stasi was dissolved. 13 January 1990. 91,000 full time employees and 189,000 unofficial collaborators and informants lost their jobs and privileges.
The German government has done a lot to preserve anything which Stasi has ever done. Some links:
- At this moment in Brussels, inside the EU Parliament there is an exposition on this topic.
- Here is a paper about Stasi from 2017 published in Wired.
- Putin had close ties with Stasi.
- Here is some art work about a Stasi prison by Karolina Spolniewski.
- And here is a video interview by Bernd Lippmann, a teacher who was thrown into a prison at one time and one of some 34,000 political prisoners, later evicted, and for whom a huge amount of money (a ransom) was paid by West Germany, in order to free these prisoners.
- And here is a paper on cryptography developed by Stasi and used to protect all sort of communications for the German government during the Cold War.
Remark added later: 13 January 2020 was the first case of Coronavirus outside of China. An old lady from Wuhan… Conspiracy theories will thrive!